Monday, August 29, 2005

08/29/2005 - COUNTING BLESSINGS...

Good morning bloggers... It is Monday and almost the end of August. Hurricane Katrina just hit New Orleans and is Headed to Mobile and points East. Even though it has been downgraded from a Category 5 down to around a 3 - it has already wreaked havoc on the lives of many states, cities, towns and individual lives.

Yesterday I spoke with friends who had plans to go to NOLA next week. They were anxiously watching the news and weather reports as things were shaping up to be pretty disastrous to the gulf regions in the path of the storm. Of course the media tends to make things as dramatic as possible - but you still have to wonder how close to reality they are at times. Times like these. I felt bad for my friends who seemed almost certain to have a change in plans - and the trip was a birthday present too. Yesterday, I felt bad. Today - I feel a bit different.

Today I feel lucky to not live in New Orleans or the countless other places not mentioned in the news, but which are nonetheless destined for change due to the terrible impact of Katrina. Today I feel glad that my friends are here in Dallas rather than already in Louisiana having to worry about their own safety. Today I feel my heart sink as I think about those poor people huddled in the Superdome, with rain leaking and pouring into the dimly lit, un-airconditioned space. Just the thought is sickening. How much worse is it to actually be there - crowded in among the cities poor, feeble and homeless. I'm sure there are no words to describe what it is like to bear the heat, the smell and the sounds of scared, weary but restless crowd. Today I feel lucky and thankful that I am safe and that my loved-ones and friends are safe too.

I have some friends in New Orleans too. Friends with whom I have not been able to get in touch yet. Today I think of them. I wonder if they are ok. I pray that they are and feel in my heart that they will make it through intact. Still I wonder, and I pray.

For me - today is set aside for praying and being thankful.

Please join me - and pray...

Blessings,
- bbw

No comments:

Post a Comment