Sunday, July 31, 2005

07/31/2005 - COMING OUT DAY (part 2)

Well - it's now 12:25pm and my kids are aware that I'm bi/gay - and they love me anyway. It was kind of awkward to get to the actual "telling" - and once I said it I wasn't sure if they completely understood because I didn't get much of a reaction. So I had to ask them what they were thinking and feeling. I asked my son what he thought about having a bi or gay dad. He said that he didn't think of it like that. He said that I am simply his dad and that he loves me no matter what. He said he didn't think being gay was really an issue when it comes to our relationship.

My daughter responded much the same way, as if it didn't really matter, but I could tell in her eyes that she was feeling pain. She was having a hard time processing all of the ramifications of the news. My wife and I reassured her that whatever she was feeling was ok and if she needed time and/or space or whatever - we would support that.

I asked if they had any questions and they said for now they didn't, but when they did they would ask. They both appreciated that my wife and I were being honest and they assured us that they loved and supported us too.

I asked whether or not they had suspected something like this. My son said he could tell I was changing, but he didn't associate it with being gay or anything - he just loved that I was more happy with myself and that allowed us to bond even more.

My daughter said she had also noticed that I was changing, and seemed to be struggling with issues but she just hoped that everything would work out for the best. She added that if the struggle was between being gay or not gay, she would have hoped for not gay - and I added that I would have wished that too. But it didn't turn out that way.

My wife and I stressed that we did not want to treat this or see it as bad news. I explained that I was not ashamed of myself and I did not see being more free to be myself and express myself was a "bad thing" but instead was a good thing. The kids agreed.

So now that part is done - and I'm sure many other aspects will come up over time and we will deal with them as they arise - but for now the kids are in great moods and want to go out for lunch. My daughter wants to invite her boyfriend to come with us - which I see as a good sign because when she is really bothered - she doesn't want to be around people.

God is good! Life is good, and my family - well they are just the BEST!!!!!

Woof ya later!
- bbw

No comments:

Post a Comment