Monday, January 09, 2006

01/09/2006 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY...

Well this is rather uncharacteristic of me, putting a personal message out here on the World Wide Web, especially since I am such a private person who likes to keep personal matters to myself. However, having said that, I think that birthdays should be celebrated and that we should always try to celebrate those around us. Today is the anniversary of the birth of my boyfriend. And yes, it is traditional to celebrate such days as special and to treat the person to gifts, parties, surprises and tons of attention, but it is so much more to me. Today I celebrate the beginning of a journey that began 35 years ago. I met him just before he turned 34 - so in truth - it took 33 years of wandering through life for us to find each other. The kicker is we weren't aware of each other - nor were we looking for anyone. Yet, somehow life had other plans for us. We were treated to something special... call it fate, or destiny or whatever you want. What I recognize is the miracle of meeting, getting to know, and being with someone who helps me to be a stronger, better man. He is someone who brings out my best instead of my worst, someone who compliments my personality and tempers my rough edges. So, while today is a celebration of his life - I feel like the greatest of gifts was actually given to me. For that, and for him, I am deeply, deeply grateful. One last gift is this poem I wrote for him tonight...

*** DEEPER ***
Tidal waters move
Pounding the shore
Grinding rock, stone, sand
Wearing down
Washing back out
Only to recharge
Pound again
And then wash away
Finding a place
Deeper

So like life
As days come upon us
Sometimes overwhelming
Tearing down
Retreating for a while
Only to cycle around
And hit us again
With circumstance
While we search for something
Deeper

Then there is you
Entering my world
Never overbearing
Always building me up
Yet giving me space
To fail and to grow
For such is love
Within you I've found a soul
And a place
Deeper

--- Happy Birthday Baby!

For us all, let's treat every day like our loved one's birthday - making sure they know they are loved, and appreciated, and that THEY are the true gifts in our lives.

WOOF ya later!
- bbw

No comments:

Post a Comment