Friday, April 11, 2008

04/11/2008 - NO IMMUNITY...

I must admit - I am not immune. Sometimes I fall into the same trap I try to warn others against, and it's not only embarrassing, but it's humbling. I would say the humbling part is a good thing - it helps to keep me/us "real" and remind us that we are not faultless and yes, sometimes that glass house is our own.

On January 17 of this year I posted a blog titled Crazy Times, and it held up "Muslim" or Islamic ideals and compared them with "American" ideals, basically to show how inconsistent the two are and how they, like oil and water, don't fundamentally mix. That in itself isn't a bad exercise - but the big OOPS that leaves me feeling so humbled and foolish - is that I drank the same "internet kool-aid" that led me and so many others to believe for a "fact" that Barack Obama was a Muslim. At the time - I had never heard Mr. Obama state that he was Muslim - but I got emails and read internet blather almost daily that said so. AND his name seemed to fit that image as well. AND he never publicly stated that he was NOT a muslim... that is, until some months later.

Now I have heard from his very mouth that he is in fact a Christian, who reads the Bible - and well, I'll say it again - I feel foolish. I fell into the trap of the haters and I put on their sheep's skin and walked on all fours like them...

So I ask that Mr. Obama forgive me, and that you forgive me as well. It proves to me how easy it is to "believe" something when we hear it stated as fact, particularly when it is stated in a public place by seemingly professional and "knowing" people - over and over again! Much like Hillary's account of entering Bosnia under sniper fire. Had I not been informed by others who were there, I would believe her. She would have liked that.

Thanks to all of you for your love, your support, your forgiveness! Let's continue to hold each other accountable!

WOOF ya later!
~bbw